Subordinators are used to connect clauses which are not of equal rank. Subordinators can appear either at the beginning or in the middle of a sentence.
In this post, you will find the top 50+ Subordinators Examples.
- Apposition – that, why, how
- Reason – as, because
- Purpose – that, so that, in order that
- Effect – that
- Condition – if, provided
- Contrast – though, although
- Comparison – as, as much as, no less than
- Manner – as, so far as
- Time – before, after, when
- Place – where, wherever
Subordinators Examples #1
- We know that he is honest.
- He said that he would go.
- Tom told us that the train had left the station.
- Tori made a promise that she would return soon.
- I don’t know why she has come.
- I don’t know how she has done this work alone.
Subordinators Examples #2
- Rokul deserves the reward because she has worked hard.
- He cannot go out because he is ill.
- As she was ill, she could not come to school.
- As I am ill, I cannot go.
- Since I am ill, I cannot go there.
Subordinators Examples #3
- We work so that we may earn a living.
- Men work that (so that) they may earn a living.
- Shut the door so that the child may not go out.
- I study hard so that I may pass the examination.
- Amal took medicine in order that he might get well.
Subordinators Examples #4
- Tom talked so much that his voice became hoarse.
- It rained so heavily that paddy could not grow.
- You lie so often that nobody believes you.
Subordinators Examples #5
- If you come, we shall go there.
- He will die if he takes poison.
- You will fail unless you work hard.
- Ask him whether he will come tomorrow.
Subordinators Examples #6
- Though (Although) she was ill, she did his duties.
- Though he is poor, he is honest.
- Bishal finished first though he began late.
- Although it was cold, the man did not light a fire.
- Although it was hard, he did it.
- Rich as he is, he is not happy.
- The boy will never succeed, however hard he works.
Subordinators Examples #7
- This ripe mango is as sweet as honey.
- This mango is not so sweet as honey.
- She is as clever as I (am).
- She likes you as much as I (like you).
- He loves action no less than fiction.
- He is taller than my sister.
- The earth is larger than the moon.
Subordinators Examples #8
Degree of Manner
- Men will reap, as they sow.
- It happened precisely as I told you.
- I’m afraid that’s not right, so far as I can find out.
- This is not true, so far as I can see.
Subordinators Examples #9
- I shall leave the room as soon as my father returns home.
- She had worked hard before she succeeded.
- The patient had died before the doctor came.
- He came after I had left the place.
- He returned home after he had done office work.
- Alisha came when I was getting ready to go out.
- He came when I was there.
- Rita came here while it was raining.
- Make haste while the sun shines.
- No one can harm us as long as (so long as) we are united.
- Stay as long as you like.
- Mini started as soon as I reached there.
- Wait till the train stops.
- Wait till the train arrives.
- I shall read this book until my father comes back.
- Do not detrain until the train stops.
Subordinators Examples #10
- I shall go where he will go.
- You may go where you like.
- I shall find her out wherever she lies.