Helping Verbs are verbs that only help main verbs to form different verb forms. They are important as structural verbs.
Helping Verbs are important as structural verbs.
Types of Helping Verbs
Auxiliary Verbs or helping verbs are of two types:
Daily Grammar Test - Attempt Now
|Primary Helping Verbs||Be Verb: is, am, are, was, were, been, being|
Have Verb: have, has, had, having
Do Verb: do, does, did
|Modal Helping Verbs||can, could, shall, should, will, would, may, might, must, dare, need, used to, ought to|
Primary Helping Verbs
Be Verbs (am, is, are, was, were)
- I am working,
- You are writing.
- He is sleeping.
- I am going to the store.
- He is studying for his exam.
- They are playing soccer in the park.
- We are watching a movie tonight.
- The cat is sleeping on the couch.
Have Verbs (Have, Has, Had)
- I have a meeting at 2 PM.
- She has already finished her homework.
- They have been studying for hours.
- He has not been feeling well lately.
- We have decided to go on vacation this summer.
Do Verbs (Do, did, does)
- The children have done their homework.
- Did he come to school yesterday?
- My boss did not approve my vacation request.
- The team has done an excellent job this season.
- He does not always travel by bus.
Modal Helping Verbs
Shall / Will
- The team shall work together to achieve their goals.
- You will get a discount if you sign up for the service now.
- Shall I take the pen?
- Which book shall I buy?
- Shall we go for a walk now?
- My parents will come to visit us next month.
- The company shall invest in new technologies to stay competitive.
- I will not be able to come to the party because of a prior commitment.
- She will finish her degree next year.
May / Might
- The concert might be cancelled because of the pandemic.
- You may want to consider taking a break to avoid burnout.
- My friend might come over for dinner tonight.
- May I take leave?
- May I come in?
- You may go home now.
- May I get a cup of coffee?
- May I help you?
- You might use my pencil.
- The restaurant may have a waiting list during peak hours.
Can / Could
- I can walk.
- You cannot read.
- Lisa can write.
- The software could be updated to fix the bugs.
- You can use my laptop if yours is not working.
- Birds can fly.
- Yes, you can.
- No, he can not.
- We must go to school every day.
- We must do our duty.
- He must submit the application before the closing date.
- We must respect each other’s opinions in a discussion.
- We must abide by the will of God.
- You must wear a helmet while riding a bike.
- My friend must take a break to avoid burnout.
- The team must work together to achieve a common goal.
Should / Would
- I should get more sleep to improve my productivity.
- She would love to go on a vacation to a tropical island.
- We should not sleep during the daytime.
- We should obey our parents.
- Peter would read ten hours a day.
- You should have (or, ought to have) come back before it’s too late.
- You ought to wear a seatbelt while driving for your safety.
- My friend ought to learn how to manage their finances more effectively.
- The government ought to invest in renewable energy to reduce carbon emissions.
- Do you dare to go bungee jumping?
- Who dares to enter the office?
- I dare to say that you are a liar.
- Is she daring to climb that mountain alone?
- Tom dare not come to me.
- Peter dared insult me to my face.
- How dare he argue with you?
- She can dare any danger.
- I don’t need to go to the store today.
- Do you need any help with your homework?
- John need not go there.
- We need not do this work.
- I need your help.
- Peter used to play cricket when he was at school.
- I used to live in a village when I was a boy.
- He used to walk every morning when he was in Mumbai.
- They used to visit their grandparents every summer.
You Asked, We Listened – List of All Grammar Topics Updated 😍😍
Copyright Notice:📚 Teachers and students are granted permission to use, reproduce, and distribute this content solely for educational and non-commercial purposes. 🚫 Unauthorized copying, distribution, or reproduction for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited. Any infringement may result in legal action.