Auxiliary Verbs are verbs that merely help principal verbs in the formation of various verb forms. Auxiliary verbs are important as structural verbs.
Dare, Need, and Use to – These three verbs are often called Semi Modal Verbs because these verbs are used as Principal verbs as well as Auxiliary verbs.
Semi Modal Verbs Used as Principal Verbs
- I need some help.
- He dared me to combat.
- He used the opportunity to his advantage.
Semi Modal Verbs Used as Auxiliary Verbs
- You need not go there.
- He need not do this.
- He dare not oppose me.
- They used to visit the library regularly.
Semi Modal Verbs With Examples
Semi Modal Verbs #Dare
- I dare to say that you are a liar.
- He dare not speak of the incident openly.
- I dared or durst not enter the room. Or, I did not dare to enter the room.
- Trisna dare not come to me.
- Parag dared insult me to my face.
- Sugata durst (or, dared) not do this.
- I dare not insult him.
- How dare he argue with you?
- Dare he behaves badly towards my guests?
- Arjuna dared Karna to a duel.
- Bhima dared Duryodhana to fight with clubs.
- Being defeated the other day, he does not dare me to fight with him anymore.
- I dare (defy) death,
- I can dare any danger.
- I shall dare him to fight with me.
- Saurav has dared Donald to fight with him on the field.
Semi Modal Verbs #Need
- Need he go?
- You need not apply.
- Bijan need not go there.
- We need not do this work.
- You need not trouble yourself.
- Rumpita need not come here anymore.
- You need not have waited so long.
- Rohit need not worry.
- You need not have bothered so much about this trivial matter.
- I need not have bought it.
- Need I write (a letter) to him?
- I need your help.
- Ranjan needs some money.
- I need to go there.
- Binod will need this book.
- He will need my support.
- India needs Shrinath’s help.
- I did not need to buy it.
- Your presence is urgently needed.
- I do not need to meet him.
- Our brain sometimes needs rest.
- I gave you more than you needed.
Semi Modal Verbs #Used to
- He used to play football when he was at school.
- I used to live here when I was a boy.
- He used to walk every morning when he was in Kolkata.
- I used to go to school by tramcars.
- In our childhood, we used to sing religious hymns in the morning.
- Raghu used to wake us every morning.
- I used to do physical exercise in my boyhood.
- When at school I used to do sums every day.
- When living in the village, we used to bathe in the tank.
- There used to be a theatre here.
- There used to be a big house here.
You Asked, We Listened – List of All Grammar Chapters Updated 😍😍